Sunday 7 September 2008

ALAMODE GETS FEATURED

Tell us a little bit about yourself. How did you get started in this line of work?

I’m a mother of two active boys (7 and 11 years old), wife of a very busy medical resident, and owner of an indie business. I started à la mode serendipitously. A friend wanted to have a holiday sale/party featuring her “crafty” friends. I was going to bring decoupage switch plates to sell, but was asked to make a few handbags. I did and sold out, took orders, and my business was born.-

Take us through a normal day for you.

The first thing I do when I wake up and the last thing I do before bed is check my emails and Etsy shop. I usually renew an item right before bed (to catch the buyers from the other side of the world). In the morning, once the kids are off to school, I set off to work in my studio (an extra room in our house I’ve managed to commandeer). Since I’m a one person business, work entails marketing, sales, advertising, pr, design, manufacturing, etc. I do whatever is on the top of the priority list. Often I’ll process orders first, then answer important emails. I’m always working on deadlines so each day I do something to fulfill each particular deadline. I spend hours on the computer, sometimes more than I should (it can be a black hole). On a good day, I’ll actually get to make something new. -

What inspires you?

I love good design, architecture, pop culture and humor. I draw inspiration from things I use and see everyday. For instance, I could spend hours at my local hardware store roaming the isles for ideas. Copper pipes become handles for bags, light switch plates become little canvases for art and commentary, steel washers become jewelry.-

What's your most treasured possession and why?

It is hard to say what my most treasured possession might be. Material possessions would include photos of my family, items my kids have made, jewelry given to me from loved ones, and,dare I say, my computer. In the end, it’s all just stuff. One definition of possession is to have control over oneself and one’s mind. I suppose having a creative mind and the ability to think rationally would be what I treasure most. I know it sounds trite, but without our minds what is there?! -

How do you prepare seasonally on Etsy? Do you have a favorite time of the year?

I just celebrated my first year anniversary on Etsy so I’ll be looking at this next year a lot more strategically. With regard to my shop, I don't really have a favorite time of year yet. Going into my second year, I’ll plan seasonal promotions. As my handbags change seasonally, my shop takes on a different look. Right now, I'm working on my Winter collection.-

What are your top 3 tips for new Etsy sellers?

I’m going to be honest; it's work to sell on Etsy! Narrowing tips down to three is tough, but here are my top 3 tidbits of advice:

1) List and renew a lot! I know there is an ongoing debate about this, but I didn’t sell a thing my first 4 months. It wasn’t until I regularly renewed items and “made myself known” on Etsy. I either list a new product or renew old listings 2 – 3 times a day.

2) Market yourself! It takes a lot of time and energy, but self promotion on and off Etsy is important. I viewed my “craft” as a business from the beginning. I made marketing materials and created a brand identity. Having done those 3 years ago and remaining consistent, I’ve gained a following.

3) Learn from others and pay it forward! I researched similar businesses and websites that I liked and then emulated them. I joined several street teams, post on other people’s blogs, and make myself available for those who ask for help. I’m new to treasuries, but love promoting others and do it when I can. I am a big believer in what goes around comes around.


So there you go that's a bit about the face behind alamode!
Even if you have been selling on etsy for years I'm sure there are still some tips you can pick up from that!
Thank-you alamode it was brilliant!

Here is a like to alamode please check it out!!!:
http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5284694

So who will be next weeks seller.......................................? Watch this space?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Love the video/slide show.

Thanks for featuring me! Yay, Kitsch!